July 12, 2013
The GNOME Foundation invites proposals to host GUADEC 2015.
GUADEC is the biggest gathering of GNOME users and developers, which takes place in Europe every year. It includes conference days, the GNOME Foundation annual general meeting and hacking in a week of coding and discussion. To make organizing GUADEC easier, GNOME selects the location two years in advance.
Teams wishing to organize GUADEC in their city should let the board know of their intent to submit a bid by August 1, 2013 by e-mail to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating their availability to meet during this year’s GUADEC to discuss it with the GNOME Foundation board. Final bids will be due by September 30, 2013
Keep in mind that a good candidate should meet the following criteria:
- easily accessed by plane or train
- motivated local team, preferably with experience in event organisation
- a venue available to host the event
- good options for lunches (catering, student restaurant…)
- affordable accommodation and places to eat in the evening
- space for informal talks and impromptu hacking
- local industry and government support
Bids from previous years are available for reference. Also be aware that while organizing a conference such as GUADEC is a huge undertaking, people from the GNOME community have been there before you and will be there to help you. You can find more information at https://wiki.gnome.org/GUADEC including a How To for writing a bid and an overview of the kinds of things you should include in the proposal.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch with the foundation board at email@example.com.